Monday, June 15, 2020

Supporting Time Outdoors

Back before the pandemic started, as kid governor I had one goal. To get kids outdoors more. I testified to support a bill to establish a committee to research the benefits of extended recess. It was an incredible experience, to see all the people getting up in front of the legislators, saying what they had to say, and being heard. Many of those people spoke from their hearts. I too spoke about my past experiences. I got to meet our legislators and speak to ordinary people who were making themselves heard.

When the pandemic happened, my goals had to change. For most people, everything had to change. I started focusing on what I could do to support people during this crisis. I realized we need to focus on what we can do, and not what we could have done.

Through the generosity of neighbors, family, and friends, I was able to put together 35 summer fun bags that were distributed to Concord students with limited resources. Each bag contained sidewalk chalk, a jump rope, bubbles, and a ball, in addition to other items for outdoor fun. I hope that these bags helped kids get outside to enjoy a little fun during a stressful time. I am continuing my Sunshine Time project to help Friends of Forgotten Children reach their goal of putting together 1000 bags for kids in need of some fun outdoor activities this summer. I will be collecting donations all summer to help them make this happen.

While this isn’t exactly what I planned, it wasn’t as hard as I thought to find a different way to reach my goal. I’m so thankful and glad that so many people are willing to help in a time like this.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Every Vote Matters!

   Every Vote Matters!  In every election, every vote counts, even though you might not realize it. One vote could turn the tide of an elect...